No excuse for a simple chicken dinner to be boring!
Here we’ve wowed the standard roast by adding a Moroccan spice butter and roasting with red onions and sweet red peppers. Prep is literally 20 mins.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1-2 red onions
- 1 red pepper
- ½ lemon
- 4 garlic cloves
- 10 dried apricots
- 300ml of chicken stock
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp hot paprika or cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper
- Peel onions and slice into 1cm thick rings. Chop the stalk off the pepper, remove inner core and slice into 1cm thick rings. Lay on a bottom of a deep tray.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the spice butter. Rub half of the spice butter under the skin and the rest over your whole chicken.
- Place your onions and half the garlic cloves and dried apricots in the cavity of the chicken.
- Scatter the remaining garlic cloves and dried apricots in the bottom of the tray.
- Place your chicken on top of the layered vegetables in your tray and add the stock to the bottom of the tray.
- Cover the tray with tinfoil and roast in the oven for 45 mins. Then remove foil and cook for another 20-30 mins allowing the breast to brown. Ensure your chicken is fully cooked by checking juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for 10 mins on your serving plate.
- Remove the roasted onions and peppers and smother over your chicken along with the remaining juices from the pan.
- Serve with Garlic Parmentier Potatoes, freshly steamed vegetables and pickled green chillis to give it an extra fiery kick!